Monday 9 April 2012

The evils of mobile phones

Well I've had a rather disappointing day, the weather has been cold, dreary and wet since the kids broke off and I really need to get out and plant my potatoes and sort out my little veg plot. I stupidly tripped over myself (floppy slippers to blame) and hurt my arm, my husband is working 12 hours a day 7 days a week so just wants to stay out of the way upstairs when he gets home, and my tele, that is only two years old and has already had one new power board replaced, will not stay on for longer than 10 minutes. What's this got to do with mobile phones you ask, well to top it all off I have found out that my son has gone over his phone contract this month by £90, making the bill £108. What a shock. I bought the phone myself on a contract because at the time it was Christmas and we had no savings for Christmas presents so I bought the phone as it had a free ipod with it, which my son had asked for for Christmas. After a year of hardly using the phone myself  and the fact that son no.2's pay as you go phone had broke, I thought he would make better use of it. The contract has 300 texts a month, which was ample enough for me as I probably didn't even use 10, so I thought would be ample for him. Well I certainly was wrong. In 1 day he used over 100 texts and had gone over his limit in 4 days. I think at the time he was texting a girl who he liked. She had been trying to go out with him for a year and he hadn't been interested but decided at this point he would go out with her, hence all the texting. The day after he said yes she told him she didn't want to go out with him anymore.
 My eldest son has always been really good keeping a track on his and never really going over more than a couple of pounds. Since I gave son no.2 the phone I kept reminding him to watch his texts as his friends are texting him all the time, (they must have unlimited texts). The problem was, although the network text you to say when you had used 75% of your usage, they never text to say when you had used it all and we weren't sure how to check exactly how much usage he had left. So I am now in a quandary, I think he has gone over again this month but not near as much. Should I take the phone back for myself and give him a pay as you go or should I give him another chance now he has realised how easy it is to go over and hope that he is more responsible and keep a check on it?

So I have sent all the kids up to their rooms and before I came on here sat down with this,


and a bit of this,





Let's hope for a bit more sunshine tomorrow!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Melanie, thanks for your comment at The Pea Pod x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Lizzie. Thank you for being my new and first member. I lost the two I had as I stopped blogging. The trouble is I spend too much time reading other people's as they all seem a lot more interesting than my own and don't think people would be interested in reading mine. I shall try harder this time, it's all quite new to me this blogging world. Melanie x

      Delete
  2. Hi Melanie. I wanted to reply to the comment you left on my blog, but your email address wasn't attached to your profile, so I thought I'd pop on over.

    Thanks for the sweet note about our kid lunches and Baby's new room. As for the gardening, I too, am waiting for that ever elusive sun. If it shows up at your house, send some my way! :o)

    ReplyDelete